- Ideal Electric Company is created out of the Card Electric Company. The original plant, a converted horse carriage shop, occupies 2,500-square-feet. Glen Vinson, the founder and first president, leads Ideal Electric in steady growth for the next coming years.
- After World War I, Ideal pioneers two major products for the electrical industry. Large, slow-speed synchronous motors and generators that use across-the-line starting, and the polyphase capacitor induction motor.
- Continued growth necessitates the hire of expert, leading American engineers. Ideal constructs the revolutionary Ohio Works, situated on 29 acres with over 280,000 square feet of space.
- Ideal Electric is the premiere supplier of the armed forces throughout World War II. Ideal’s generators power gun turrets on Navy cruisers, EC-2 Liberty-class ships, and power base camps for American troops abroad during the war.
- Ideal Electric leads the world in tech innovation, developing brushless excitation for synchronous machines, the largest hermetic motors for refrigeration compressors, powerhouse generators for the Navy’s Aegis-Class ships, and the biggest wind-powered turbine generator ever constructed.
- Ideal Electric continues to lead the industry with an expanded assembly area and test floor. The expansion adds an additional 30,000 square feet to the assembly and test floor area and is supported by a new 80-ton crane with a 35-foot hook height.
- After the terror attacks in NYC on September 11th, Ideal Electric aids Verizon in rebuilding major telephone exchanges throughout the city.
- The Great Northeast Blackout occurs, leaving over 45 million Americans without electricty. Ideal helps to supply power to those affected.
- Ideal Electric makes major additions to the Ohio Works facility including a new 25,000 square foot assembly floor, two 40-ton overhead cranes, a 14 foot impregnation tank, and a state-of-the-art, 25,000 square foot machining and welding operation.
- Ideal Electric resumes manufacturing replacement machines and begins their repair & testing service at the cutting-edge Ohio Works facility.
- Ideal Electric expands internationally, opening their first-ever EU Sales Office. The company also achieves their first delivery of a multi-megawatt permanent magnet generator, containing industry-leading tech for the electrification of hydraulic fracturing in oil & gas.
- The historic Ohio Works celebrates its 100th birthday.
The Ideal Electric & Manufacturing Company was founded in May of 1903 by Stanleigh Glen Vinson at the corner of East 5th and Elm Street, Mansfield, Ohio. The company was later relocated to the corner of East 1st and Oak Streets in 1920. The Vinson family owned the company until November 1976 when it was purchased by the Carrier Corporation. Ideal Electric Co. was then purchased by United Technologies Corporation in June of 1979 when UTC purchased the Carrier Corporation. M. Vucelic, members of his family, and several investors acquired the company on May 28, 1986 until it was later aquired Hyundai. Currently, Ideal Electric is owned by a private American affiliate, making it the only wholly American-owned independent manufacturer of high-power, specialty electric machinery and power systems in the world.
The Ideal Electric & Manufacturing Company received their first order from the A. Kieckhefer Elevator Company on May 28, 1903. New products, including high-torque squirrel cage motors, induction motors, and slip ring motors, were introduced in 1905. These motors were for elevators and electro-plating. AC motors up to 50 hp and DC motors up to 4000 amperes were added to the product line in 1907. Other products were added as the company grew.
During WWI Ideal Electric supplied many motors for various applications. Many warships housed components built by Ideal Electric.
Synchronous motors were added to the product mix in 1918. Hermetic motors for refrigeration purposes were developed in the 1920’s. Eddy Current Couplings were developed in 1928 to supply variable speed and torque. Ideal supplied 400 cycle generators for the military during WWII.
The Battle of Tassafaronga during November of 1942 was devastating to our fleet of heavy cruisers. The Northampton was sunk, and the Minneapolis, New Orleans, and Pensacola sustained heavy casualties and were sent back to port for repairs. The Minneapolis, after she sunk or helped sink nine Japanese warships, limped into Tulagi Harbor for emergency repairs before proceeding to Pearl Harbor and thence to Mare Island Navy Yard at San Francisco. The gun turrets for this sea fighter, like hundreds of other surface craft, were powered with motor-generator sets manufactured by the Ideal Electric Company. A letter of commendation from Rear Admiral, El Cochrane, USN, Chief of the Bureau of Ships applauded Ideal Electric for its delivery record and quality components.
No-break, Continuous Power Systems that combined the motor, generator, and Eddy Current technologies were developed in the 1960’s.
Ideal Electric has designed and manufactured custom-built equipment for a variety of applications and customers. Ideal has built small, land-based, high-frequency motor-generator sets for Naval aircraft, medium size generators for Naval guided missile attack ships, small to large generators for hydroelectric applications, generators for oil platforms, back-up power supplies for NASA, small refrigeration motors for buildings like the Astrodome in Houston Texas and the World Trade Center.
Some of the innovations Ideal has engineered include the Eddy Current Coupling, brushless exciter package, a centrifugal rotor castor, wind-powered generators, epicyclic gear-driven generators, 300% overspeed hydro-generators and 11,000 volt hermetic motors.
Find your local contacts